Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Un - Expected Gifts!



So what did appear on my doorstep this morn? Gifts!!! Now this may not be much to you, but it is to me. These 2 large zucchini,  garden-fresh Sicilian cucumbers & tomatoes will be additions to several meals. They're organic, very local and show me that my neighbors care... a lot.

I love that folks in my neighborhood & neighborhoods across the country share their harvest - that speaks a lot for humanity. 

When I was growing up in Southern California, within a one-half block vicinity we had 3 huge fruit trees. In my back yard, we had a most-delicious peach tree. (I lived in that tree most of the summer.) Across the street on the corner was a rich plum tree & my cross-the-street neighbor had a humongous apricot-bearing tree. 

These three trees seemed to bear their fruit at different times. One week it was peach harvest, another apricot & the next plum. It was a given that we all benefited from each other's bounty, not because we had to, but because we loved each other - we truly felt like extended family. 

This was the type of neighborhood I grew up in & am truly grateful for the gift of true friends & a close-knit group of neighbors. 

So thank you dear neighbors, friends & family.

Peace to you & may your gifts be multiplied 10-fold.

Marcy Hope Williams