Thursday, September 27, 2012

Park City - here I come!


What an awesome day!!! Yes, it did take 2 hours to get to my final destination, which was KPCW Radio Studios in Park City, but well worth the trip. 

To begin with, you can always count on a surreal drive through Sardine Canyon in late September or early October - the Maples paint the hills with such rich hues - it's difficult not to stop and appreciate such a vivid canvas.  

I was first able to drop off a few books of my book, A Crack in the Night, at the King's English Bookstore in Salt Lake City. 

Then off to visit Babinski's Baby Shop at the Foothills Mall to share my upcoming book, Ruby Rose Comes to Town.  


Here's Dave Bullock, both an amazing storyteller, co-creator with Cathy Barker of the radio program, The Story Mine, & an awesome human being. 

The Story Mine is a 8-week program that will hit the airwaves on UPR beginning October 7th, as well as being globally streamed through kpcw.org.

As described by the creators of Story Mine, "Park City is famous as an Historical Mining District where many millions of dollars of minerals were mined from the mountains of the Wasatch Back." It is also home to Robert Redford's Sundance Film Festival every year. 



After the record button was turned off, I was fortunate to listen to a few of Dave's mining stories including his Tommy-Knocker tales. His father had introduced him to mining at the early age of 4 and Dave continued to work at the mines with his father for the next 30 years. He tells me that miners are a rare breed indeed. 

This man is a creative genius and quite the natural & entertaining teller. We do hope that he will publish his stories so that this rich historical, personal, local culture and folklore can be preserved.

You can see two of my published books in the forefront of this picture.

I do apologize for not carrying my camera around town, so if you're interested just google Park City, Utah & you'll see a plethora of pictures. 

I'll be sure to let you know when my stories are aired, until that time, I leave you in peace.

Before I leave, I must share with you a side note - I was on my way to Park City following my Google directions, when I began to get this feeling that I had traveled much too far. My directions said that I was to turn about 1/2 mile down the road & yet, I didn't see the street sign that was mentioned. I drove about 3 miles & then felt I must stop & get directions. 

I pulled over to a (I thought) random business area & looked around. At first, I saw an older man & watched him enter his car & drive away. Then I saw this nice-looking woman, so I approached her. After a brief exchange, she asked me if I was Marcy. It turned out that this was Cathy Barker, Dave Bullock's wife & co-producer of the Story Mine- how's that for perfect timing! After receiving better directions I headed another 3-4 miles into town. 

Marcy Hope Williams