Monday, September 3, 2012

WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST?
Let's Keep it Simple!




As a vegetarian, I want to make sure I do get enough protein. Some vegetarians say not to worry about this requirement because if you eat a variety of foods, you're be covered. I beg to differ. After 38 years of eating a plant-based diet, I know that when I don't include my protein shakes, I can tell the difference in both my hair, my nails and my overall vitality - but that's me. Of course we are all different and we are all at different stages of our life. 

The protein powders I use are the Vegn brand, Sport Natural Plant-Based Performance Protein, available through Sequel or myvega.com. This product was developed by professional Ironman triathlete, Brendan Brazier. His formula includes organic sprouted whole grain brown rice protein, organic green pea protein, organic alfalfa juice protein, spirulina and other nutrients. This brand offers 20 grams of protein per serving. 

Brendan offers a fabulous book on nutrition also, The Thrive Diet. which I would highly recommend. It covers a variety of topics all geared to educate you on not only getting the most bang for your buck, but actually eating the highest nutrient-rich foods with the least amount of waste for optimal health and performance.

The other protein powder I use offers 25 grams per protein and is made mostly from soy. My daughter constantly reminds me that Brendan's powder is superior, but because of cost, I do switch off.

My smoothie this morn was made from 1 cup of Silk Pure Coconut milk, 1 cup of frozen organic blue berries, 1 organic banana, 1 scoop of protein powder and then the blender filled as high as I can without overflowing with cold purified spring water.

For me, this tastes much better than any shake you could purchase at any quick-stop or drive-thru. I usually drink a cup on  my way to work and then half at my morning break and finish it off with my lunch.  

Best to you - enjoy your day & remember, we're all counting on you to be the best that you are.

Marcy Hope Williams
writer & humanitarian