Wednesday, November 6, 2013

PUMPKIN PORRIDGE


So why try pumpkin porridge? Because it's good for you! When I met my husband I was surprised to learn he was eating this for breakfast at least 5 days out of each week. Since he's slim & trim I decided he must be doing something right and joined him one morning. At first I had to notify my taste buds to adjust to the simplicity of the flavor, but then... I'm addicted!

Living in northern Utah during this time of year you crave hot/warm drinks & meals, pumpkin porridge fits the bill. Easy to make, low in calories & nourishing:

Dish out a serving of canned pumpkin (if you can, use freshly steamed pumpkin). I eat about a cup.
Pour in almond milk or any other plant-based milk. Just takes 1/2 cup to become creamy.
Drizzle in 1 heaping (or not) teaspoon of molasses (organic is always better). We use this sweetener for this meal because molasses is highly alkaline, which your body prefers.
Sprinkle in a dash of cinnamon (good for leveling out blood sugars).
Top with crushed nuts. (I've tried many, but crushed roasted peanuts has been one of my faves, as are walnuts & almonds too.)
Microwave for 1 minute, 35-40 seconds depending on how hot you like it.
Enjoy

Benefits:
1. A few years ago when I was working with dogs, I learned to serve them 1/2 portion of canned pumpkin and 1/2 portion of dog food to help dogs slim down. I filed this in my brain until recently.
2. If you are constipated, this food will regulate you. 
3. Since any orange food is filled with vitamin A & E, this squash actually helps your skin to rejuvenate.  
4. It's just plain yummy!

Special note: If you're not quite used to eating simple foods, this dish might take a bit to get used to - but oh the rewards!!!

Peace,
Marcy Hope Williams