Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pecan Pie Crust



La Pièce de Résistance


Two Vegan Pumpkin Pies were made for Christmas. One with this pecan crust and one with a gluten-free crust. The pecan crust won hands down!

I haven't completely given up on the gluten-free crust, but it's going to take some serious tweaking. I'll share the recipe as soon as I reach perfection.

As far as the pecan crust goes. I'm going to include the recipe with one tip. 

2 cups raw pecans
1 T maple syrup
1 T oil - I used canola oil. Safflower would work well too.

Crush 1 1/2 c raw pecans to crumble size. Mix in maple syrup & oil. Press mixture on bottom & sides of 9" pie pan. I used glass.

Bake for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees only until you can begin smelling the nut flavor. Do not over-bake!

Let cool.

Crush remaining 1/2 c pecans to flakes - set aside. 

After pie crust has cooled, pour in my pumpkin pie filling.
Sprinkle perimeter of pie with remaining 1/2 c pecan flakes.
Refrigerate over-night.

Top each slice with dollop of soy whipped cream.