Tuesday, December 17, 2013

STOVE-TOP VEGAN PUMPKIN PIE FILLING

After selecting & combining 4 recipes, plus adding a bit of my ingenuity I 'accidentally' came up with my perfect vegan pumpkin pie filling. Since my husband does not tolerate wheat gluten & I never really cared for pie crusts, I decided to forgo the pie & create a nice holiday pumpkin pudding.

I thought it would be simple - I'd just follow my chocolate pudding recipe making a few substitutions. But low & behold, an hour after I refrigerated my 'pudding' I discovered a consistency of pumpkin pie filling: firm & slice-able. I'm guessing that cornstarch becomes activated either by cooking over the stove or in the oven. So - for Christmas, it's back to pumpkin pie.

You can use any type of crust you'd like. I haven't decided if I'm going to opt for a gluten-free crust or combine nuts & dates to form the crust. I'll let you know later.

Here's my vegan pumpkin pie filling recipe:
Tip: Use exact amounts.
2 c canned pureed pumpkin (or freshly steamed pureed pumpkin) 
1 c soy creamer
1 T molasses
1 level T orange marmalade
1/2 c fructose
1/4 c cornstarch
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground nutmeg (can be freshly grated)
1/8 t clove

Whisk together 1st 4 wet ingredients in cooking pan that you will be using later (no heat).
Whisk together remaining 7 dry ingredients in separate bowl.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients using whisk.
Turn on stove to a medium-high heat.
Bring to boil whisking almost continuously.
Reduce to medium heat to continue medium boil for additional 6 minutes or until ingredients have thickened.
Tip: Cooking too little the filling won't set; cooking too long the filling will be rubbery.

Pour in cooled prepared pie crust.
Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Slice & serve each slice topped with a dollop of soy whipped cream & a sprinkle of ground filbert nuts. I'll be sure to add a finished pic after the holidays. :)

 Whisk dry & wet ingredients in separate bowls.

Here's a pic of what I thought I was making... pumpkin pudding!

By the way, my husband just informed me that I should enter my recipe in the county fair next year! 
What a compliment!
Wouldn't that be a fun surprise when I enter my gluten-free, no bake, vegan pumpkin pie recipe!