Monday, December 2, 2013

My Best Cornbread Yet!




Easy to make - super moist, slice-able & made without eggs!

1 1/2 C gluten-free flour (I use Red Mills made from garbanzo beans) 
1 1/2 C corn flour (not meal, but flour - I used Maseca Masa brand)
1/2 C organic sugar 
1T baking powder (no skimping on this one; just barely over level)
1 t salt
1 C soymilk (almond milk works well also)
1 C Soy Sour Cream
1/3 C Canola oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. My oven runs hot, so I set it between 325 & 350, which worked perfectly for me.

Spray 9x9 glass pan (preferably)
Whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder & salt in a bowl.
In another bowl whisk together milk, creamer & oil.
Fold dry ingredient mixture into wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
Pour into pan - shape gently as necessary.

Bake 35 minutes. Depending on your oven you can always tent the bread after 25 minutes, but only if it's browning too quickly. Mine did not have this problem.

Cool on rack & slice.

*I have used this recipe for over 10 years & yet I am always tweaking the ingredients, baking time & temp. This morning's batch was the best. The original recipe came from Williams-Sonoma; however I've changed all of the ingredients & their amounts over the decade. By the way, excellent with my Creamy Tomato Soup recipe!