Tuesday, December 11, 2012

How about Homemade Applesauce?
It's simple - I promise!



I had 6 apples that were given to me by a neighbor - they weren't fresh off of the tree, 
but I still appreciated them & thought I would go ahead & juice them...



... that is until the temperatures dropped to 30 degrees - 
a perfect snowy wintry night here in northern Utah.  

So I decided to make good ol' applesauce - 
what a fragrant aroma & special sweetness brought to my kitchen. 
So, I peeled. 


Then sliced with my special apple slicer. 
Looking back to 7th grade home economics class - this was the 1st recipe we used & I've always been a fan ever since!

I asked my daughter what her 1st recipe was in her class - she told me No Bake Cookies. What do you remember making? 


There they are scrumptious-looking, right, you can just taste the sweetness or tartness.
At this point, you could change your mind & make an apple pie, but I prefer simple tonight.
If you like, you can add a splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice. (I usually don't)  


I could individually slice each segment, but that's lots of unnecessary work, so instead, I'll use my handy/dandy hand-chopper. 
This will provide small dices of apple that will cook down rather quickly. 


This is just a interior look at the diced apples for you. 


Place in pot (of course), & add a good sprinkling of cinnamon.
For 6 apples I use about 1/2 t. Also add about an 1/8 c of water. This will vary depending on the apples. Sometimes I just use a few tablespoons of water - sometimes, I'll use up to 1/2 c. 

The first time you make applesauce, you may want to go with 1/2 c water just to be sure. You can always strain off the excess, or uncover & let the extra evaporate. 
 Cover & cook at a slow simmer, about 20 minutes.


Of course you can leave the apples in larger chunks, but I like to use my smasher to break down the chunks even more. 
I do leave a variety of sizes though, just to make it a bit more appetizing & to give it a more home-cooked look. 

If you like, you can mush to a puree too, especially if you're serving a little one.

So, I hear you asking me, "What about sugar?" Well, I don't use any - I think the apples are plenty sweet for me. 

I remember once when I was making jam. At the beginning, I thought the jam was pretty tasty, but decided to add fructose for others. I seem to have just kept adding & adding & adding more fructose, not really knowing when enough was enough. Looking back I really believe less is more.

You can make applesauce with even one apple if you like - it's worth it even or especially if you're cooking for yourself! You're worth it!!!

A special side-note: Back in 2003 I attended the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, Tennessee. I stayed at a small bed & breakfast. The owner was this very special older woman who would fix breakfast for us. Every morning, before we rose, I could smell the apple aroma in her kitchen. She would simply slice up apples, blanch them in water & serve, slightly softened - delicious & one memory that will stay with me forever! 

Peace & Holiday Warmth,

Marcy Hope Williams