Thursday, December 20, 2012

What's Christmas without -
The Best Gingerbread Cookies!



Here is the best gingerbread cookie recipe I've found. Originally found on the Williams-Sonoma site over a decade ago, I had to tweak it to make it my own. Preparing this holiday treat has definitely become one of our family traditions. I like to share the baked cookies with friends & family & let them do their own decorations.


Prep & Cook Time: About 1 ½ hours, plus 1 hour to chill (I prefer to chill in refrigerator overnight.)
Makes: About 2-3 dozen delicious 3-4 inch cookies.


¾ C molasses
½ C oil
1/3 C firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg (I use egg replacer)
2 ¾ whole wheat pastry flour
½ t sea salt
1 T baking powder
1 T cinnamon
½ t cloves
1 T ginger - I use finely grated fresh ginger root. Be careful not use the core, which is too fibrous.  Press ginger between toweling to remove excess moisture. I find using the real ginger root the cookie has more zing. You will have tiny fibers sticking out of the cookies, which doesn't bother me too much - I think it's a good trade-off for the flavor. If using the root, use 1 1/2 to 2 T


Beat w/mixer molasses, oil, brown sugar & egg (or egg replacer) until well blended. Add grated ginger if using root.

Mix flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger (if using ground dry ginger) & cloves.  Stir into molasses mixture, then beat until well blended.

Divide dough in half, gather into a ball, then form into a disk.  Wrap each disk in plastic wrap & freeze for 1 hour or chill in refrigerator overnight. 

Remove dough from bag.  On a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll each disk to about ¼ inch thick.  With lightly floured cookie cutters, cut out cookies.  Place about 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 9 min; if using parchment paper, cook for 10 min. 
Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to racks to cool completely. 

Enjoy & 5 more days to go...