Monday, December 10, 2012

Just Like Mom Used to Make... Nah - Better! 

My mother used to make the most delicious Thanksgiving yams. I tried to duplicate them once when I had moved to Utah. Needless to say, they didn't taste like mom's. 

Did she leave out a secret ingredient? Was it the altitude difference? (she lived by the ocean) or was it just her expertise in cooking? 

I could never figure it out & finally gave up on most of mom's recipes. 
I can tell you though, mom's recipe for yams began with a can of yams.

Years later I found this recipe at Wild Oats, (now called Whole Foods) - 
a yam recipe from real yams! 

I've tweaked the recipe just a wee bit for my family's enjoyment. 
Just for variety & for the special holidays, I'll prepare these yams this way. 
My family is always excited to see them on the table. 
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
 You'll find the recipe at the end of the pictures. 

Can I tell the difference between canned yams & yams from the garden  - you bet I can!



Here's my ingredients. 
The peppermint tea & cookie on the right aren't really a part of this recipe, 
just inspiration to help me cook when I'm hungry.  



1st - preheat oven to 375-400 degrees. 
I like to prepare my 9 by 13" glass pan by first spraying it with a light mist of Pam - 
you can use any type of oil to accomplish this.  
Personally I would rather take this precaution than having to do the scrubbing or soaking later. 


Peel the yams - I really don't wash them as I think they're clean under the skin. 


Here are the 5 yams all peeled. 



Slice them up 1/8 to 1/4" thick. If they're really large I either half them or sometimes quarter them. I like them quartered the best because they seem to be able to absorb the juices better. 


Scatter in pan. 


You'll combine the margarine, sugar & spices in a small sauce pan. 
Bring to a small boil, & quickly reduce to simmer until sugar dissolves. (sorry, missed this pic).
Spoon over yams.
Mix a bit. 


Cover with foil & cook for 55 minutes at 375-400 degrees.
Uncover, then cook another 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with optional nuts & brown for 3 minutes at 500 degrees.   


Voila! A yummy entree!


                               Candied Yams                                

Serves 8

5 medium to large yams (preferably organic)
4 1/2 T magarine
2/3 C golden brown sugar packed (preferably organic)
1 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/8 t ground ginger
1/2 t salt

Optional Toppings
1/2 c chopped pecans, or 1/2 c sliced almonds


Preheat oven to 375-400 degrees. Place potatoes in 9x13x2 inch glass baking dish. Combine margarine, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger & salt in small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil & stir until brown sugar dissolves. Pour this mixture over yams & toss to coat. Cover dish well with foil.

Bake 50 minutes. Uncover & continue to bake until potatoes are tender & syrup thickens a bit (basting occasionally) about 20 minutes. Raise oven temperature to 500. Top yams with nuts & brown about 
3 minutes. 

Enjoy!