Saturday, October 6, 2012

Time to Celebrate Harvest Time!


I don't know about you folks, but I honestly have found myself wearing the color orange so much this past week! Coincidence - or just feeling Autumn?


Here's my harvest from the local gardener's market - I am so thankful for all of the work that goes into this harvest - from planning, planting, tending & then finally harvesting & bringing these fruits to our market.

I sensed that feeling of community & could understand a wee bit more how an agrarian society might feel this time of year - no wonder there are celebrations across the land for the great bounty received!

My plan was to go to the market, purchase my week's produce & return home to make a protein shake - well, that didn't happen. 

Instead I was enticed to the aroma of a family-run business that was cooking up pupusas! This was a breakfast treat for me, for I had never tried one. Basically refried means stuffed in cornmeal & fried on a hot griddle, served with a side of lightly spiced coleslaw. A larger variety of ingredients were offered, but I chose to keep it simple.

Cache Valley hit 35 degrees today, so I just warmed my hands by the griddle & waited. 

You see those apples? -My daughter had met the gardener responsible for this large fruit-bearing orchard. Yesterday we were fortunate to visit him at his home & receive a small tour of his land, which looked like Heaven on Earth. He grafts different varieties of apples himself - some of his trees may look a bit strange, but my, oh my, what large delicious apples he produces.

Last night I baked an apple cobbler, which turned out to be very yummy - especially the apple part. I'm still perfecting this recipe but I promise to share as soon as I can.  


Tonight I baked up one of my spaghetti squashes - oh was that melt-in-your-mouth good!

Check out all of the seeds from just one squash. If I planted all of these seeds, I'm guessing I would have enough squashes to last my neighbors & me easily through the winter. I will dry these seeds to use when I find the best soil to plant them in. 

I baked this squash under a tent of foil, upside down in about an inch of water on 400-425 degrees for an hour - no need to add butter or margarine. 


Sorry, this picture isn't very delectable, but I still wanted to include it. I took the picture after spooning off a couple of servings - you can see the texture how it resembles spaghetti!