Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ah... the Joys of Summer

First off, you have to know that summer is my most favorite season of all. I was brought up in Southern California, when the meadows were green & the skies were blue. As a child winters were rainy - a chance to wear my red rubber galoshes & vinyl raincoat, step in puddles & squirm at the sight of the worms suddenly appearing across the sidewalk. Winter temps dove to 65-68 degrees at the coldest. One day one winter it actually snowed - of course this was the day I came down with the mumps, so my mother forbid to go outside.  Basically in California you had two seasons, with summer making up about 75% of the year. 

During my 2nd & 3rd trip to Europe, I worked in London & played on Crete in Greece. I learned I loved islands - somehow, I feel very secure surrounded by the ocean - so, more warm weather. After Europe I moved to Hawaii, where I lived for about 14 years.

For the past 24 years, I have lived in Northern Utah - yes, straight from Hawaii to Utah! Although I know I have somewhat adapted - I have never looked forward to the coming months of winter here in Utah, for I know that living here is like living in a freezer most of the time & I have never really got accustomed to driving on snow either - just doesn't seems natural! Nevertheless - it's home. 

When spring approaches, I rejoice because summer is just around the corner! My dear neighbors gave me 3 of their lily plants to fill my prepared spots near my walkway. I was told not to count on the lilies blossoming this year, but lo & behold! I was so excited to see the first stalk bear the first bud! This flower opened today & I'd love to share its beauty with you. 


Below is a spread of our salad makings for tonight (95% organic): baby spinach leaves, artichoke hearts, shredded beets, avocado, mushrooms, mini- orange & yellow bell peppers, extra-firm tofu & broccoli sprouts.

A special note on creating salads: I was told by a very health-conscious individual that it's ok to have up to
3 types of vegetable protein in one meal - in-other-words, you could combine tofu, sunflower seeds & avocado.


*To create a wonderful plant-based well-balanced salad or meal, combine any or all of the following food groups to suit your nutritional needs & your cravings (which are ultimately the same):
  • Protein: bean or bean product, nuts or nut spread, seeds, avocado
  • Grain: whole-grain brown rice, couscous, quinoa, buckwheat, sprouted whole-wheat or brown rice tortilla torn in strips, toast or bread. 
  • Greens: spinach, lettuce, kale, wild greens, sprouts, etc
  • Colorful vegetables: cucumbers, beets, carrots, squash, peppers, etc
  • Colorful fruit: tomatoes, dried cranberries, strawberries, raspberries, peaches, nectarines, mangoes 
  • Dressing: if desired.
  • Dust with Brewer's Yeast (high in Vitamin B12)



Dustin joined us for dinner - this was his creation: a Garden Black Bean Chipotle vegan burger grilled with Portobello mushrooms on top of a sprouted whole-wheat bun covered with mustard & organic ketchup crowned with salad fixings. Notice the ranch - he hasn't parted ways... yet. :)  


Eden, my daughter chose a two-bean (black & pinto bean) veggie wrap (dressing added later) on Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain tortilla. 



One mistake I made as a mother was that I did not fix one meal for the entire family. All of my children were extremely picky eaters, so I catered to each one of them. It was not out-of-the-question to regularly create 3 separate meals at dinner.  So I ask you, who came first the chicken or the egg, or in my case the catering or the pickiness? - one can only theorize. 

May peace be with you in these dog days of summer.