Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Kohlrabi, Spiraled Zucchini, Yellow Squash & Purple Cabbage, Anyone?

There's never any reason to be bored of the vegetable kingdom - personally, I know I haven't tried all the varieties that are available to us... yet.


Here you see my lunch today. Remember all of the veggies that we picked up from the Gardener's Market - well, they had better be eaten & sooner than later! In this pic, you'll see both yellow & zucchini squash that has been processed through a spiralizer. My daughter has one. This simple kitchen gadget creates strands of thin beautiful veggies that add a different texture & beauty to your salad presentation. Yes, there's beet chunks in there too.


I brought a small snack of peas & a small pepper to snack on during my break at my day job. Yes, I'm still working 40 hours/week to pay the bills in hope that one day - one day, my dream will come true & I will be able to write full time for children & for adults.


Eden topped her lunchtime salad with sheer strips of kohlrabi. This vegetable has been called the German Turnip - it's from the cabbage family. The taste resembles the stalks of broccoli or cabbage hearts, but much sweeter & more mild. I have read that in Kashmir, this is a common vegetable eaten approximately 3 times/week.


Here's her salad with a sprinkling of Brewer's Yeast (a great source of B12).


And lastly - the final additions are raw tofu, (a feta cheese look-alike), cauliflower florets & dressing.

PS: By the way, Eden told me of a great film on Netflix - "Food Matters." I haven't had a chance yet to view it, but she said it was better than another food documentary named, "Forks & Knives."

Until next time, I wish you peace, sunshine & good will to yourself & your fellowman/woman.